Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Outdoor Show, pastel, 6 x 6
I haven't cut up a pastel painting in awhile. It was time. I posted a painting titled Peaceful Drama last week. After looking at it for a few days, I decided I liked one particular area of the painting, but not the painting as a whole. The exciting areas of the painting were just too small within the context of the rest of it. Before reaching for the x-acto knife, I first went into Photoshop and tried cropping it a few different ways. I decided that a 6x6 format would work well for a nice, strong composition that highlighted my favorite parts of the painting. I also placed paper croppers on the actual painting so I could see exactly where I would cut. After a few minor tweaks on the painting and a new signature, the knife came out and, voila!, a new painting emerged!

No comments:

Post a Comment