Monday, May 7, 2012

From Behind the Birch Trees, pastel, 9 x 12
My demo from this morning's pastel class. This was done on mounted Uart paper with an alcohol wash underpainting. Since several students in this class are new to using a liquid underpainting technique, I kept the initial stage pretty basic, just focusing on a tonal underpainting to set up the value structure. Sorry I didn't remember to snap a photo of the underpainting phase.:-(  I used just two colors (a dark purple Nupastel and an even darker purple Terry Ludwig) to rough in the base layer, and then created the wash with a bristle brush and alcohol. I find that working on top of a tonal underpainting makes it easier to select the correct values for my color choices during the rest of the painting process.


No comments:

Post a Comment