Sunday, February 17, 2013

Upcoming Workshop Schedule


INTERPRETING THE LANDSCAPE IN PASTEL

~ UPCOMING WORKSHOPS ~



One of the biggest hurdles I’ve encountered as an artist is moving past the point of copying a scene to interpreting a scene. As beginners, we all start by learning the mechanics of rendering (or copying) the subject matter with our medium of choice. But eventually, we want to move past that and portray our own version of what we see before us…to find our own artistic voice and tell our own story...which is why I've titled my workshops "Interpreting the Landscape in Pastel."

Depending on the length of the workshop, exercises will include some or all of the following:

·         Selecting a color palette – Exploring warm vs. cool and the limited color palette.
·         Developing a strong composition – How to find the ideal placement for every element.
·         Simplifying busy subject matter – Constructing “The Five-shape Landscape.”
·         Mark making – Painting a landscape in 100 strokes or less.

Workshop attendees should expect to push themselves out of their comfort zone and complete many thumbnails and small paintings in order to try out a variety of exercises and methods, rather than painting large pieces in the same manner you always have.

I’ll begin each day of the workshop with a demonstration and then provide plenty of individual help at the easel for the remainder of each day.

Following below is my updated 2013 schedule. Feel free to contact me with questions.


New York, NY - 2-day workshop
The PSA School for Pastels at the National Arts Club
15 Gramercy Park South
New York, NY 10003
March 15 & 16, 2013 (Fri. & Sat.)
$250
To register call 212-533-6931 or visit www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org

Gainesville, GA - 2-day workshop
The Quinlan Visual Arts Center
514 Green St.
Gainesville, GA 30501
March 21 & 22, 2013 (Thurs. & Fri.)
$220 members; $250 nonmembers
To register call 770-536-2575 or visit www.quinlanartscenter.org


Northern Wisconsin - 4-day workshop
(Lac Du Flambeau, WI)
Dillman's Art Workshop Retreat
Sept. 23 - 26, 2013
More details to come on this one.



2014:



Littleton, CO - 3-day workshop
Terry Ludwig Studios

8113 W. Brandon Dr.
Littleton, CO 80125
Jan. 24, 25 & 26, 2014
(fee TBD)
www.terryludwig.com
303-795-1232

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Terri, I don't have anything scheduled in that area at the moment. But I'm always open to approaching suggested art centers or other venues that host workshops if there may be an interested group of artists in the area. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    Thought you might want to know that I contacted Dillman's and they initially told me that you would not be a workshop instructor. Upon checking, they found that you were scheduled but not in the brochure. I wasn't sure if this was a fluke or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Sorry, I just now noticed your comment. I've had some difficulty getting information from Dillmans to finalize the details for my workshop there. I was finally able to speak with someone there recently and they told me that they were having problems updating their workshop schedule on their website. I'm still finalizing details on the pricing for the workshop and hope to have that worked out shortly. Feel free to contact me via email (barbarajaenicke@msn.com) about this. Would be happy to have you attend one of my workshops!

      Delete