Monday, June 13, 2011

First painting since the IAPS Convention.

Desert Colors, 11 x 14
It's been a whole week since I got back from the IAPS Convention in Albuquerque, but today was the first day I was able to spend painting in my studio.  With the creative juices flowing, newfound inspiration from the wonderful demos I witnessed from some of the top pastel artists alive today, and new reference photos from New Mexico, I couldn't wait to get going in my studio.  But with my son out of school for the summer, it's a little trickier getting in my studio time. This week he's attending a day camp, though, and he even spent a little time this afternoon painting with me in my studio!

Today's painting was from three different photos I took from the train that Nancy Nowak and I took to Santa Fe. I don't usually take photos from a moving vehicle, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to capture the unique desert scenery.  Snapping away almost nonstop through a not-so-clean window, the photos themselves weren't great, but provided enough information for interestingly shaped trees, mountain backgrounds, and other desert scenery, as well some adobe buildings to use in some future paintings. 

I even used some of my pastel purchases from the convention trade show on this painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment