Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trees on the Chattahoochee


Trees on the Chattahoochee, oil, 8 x 10
 One of my goals this year is to become more skilled in oil, and eventually be equally skilled in both oil and pastel.  I recently took a workshop with Bill Davidson and tried to put my newfound knowledge from the workshop to use in this little 8 x 10 piece. Mixing a color palette has been my weakness when working in oil.  We pastel artists are quite spoiled having all the colors right there ready to go. But I'm learning that with mixing a palette, it's much easier to keep all colors in a painting more harmonious by keeping certain colors common in each color that's mixed.  With a large supply of pastels from which to choose, it's too tempting to throw in every color we have, often ending up with a very unharmonious colors, or just plain mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment