Friday, January 16, 2015

Winter Greys

Happy New Year, everyone!

Last month in my classes at my studio we painted sunny snow scenes. This month we tackled a winter scene on a grey day, which provides a trickier challenge to identify correct color temperatures. Especially when working from photos, we tend to lean too heavily on cool colors, since photos don't always capture the warm hues correctly. Plus, logic incorrectly tricks us into thinking a that a grey, cloudy day should be communicated with mostly cool colors. . Sunlight is still there on a grey day, it's just more diffused and difficult to discern from a photo.

Snowy Driveway, oil, 8x10

Going Up, oil, 8x10

Heading In, pastel, 8x10

Many artists assume that the photos we take on days like this are too dull and grey to provide exciting reference for an eye pleasing painting. However, I look for whatever hint of color might exist in these grey areas and push that color just a bit. If I see warm against a cool, I might push that contrast some more.

The three pieces above were all demos from classes held this past week. I wanted to keep my topic consistent with all of my classes for this month, so I had a little fun changing up the view/composition for each of my demos.

For those of you in Georgia, I have workshops coming up in Paulding County the end of this month and Dahlonega in March. A little further north in the east, I'll be in Maryland in a few weeks and Rhode Island in April. Details below...

Upcoming Workshops:

OIL Workshop - Dallas, GA - 1-day 
January 31, 2015 (Sat.)
Paulding Fine Arts Association
11 Courthouse Sq., 2nd Floor
Dallas, GA
$125 PFAA members; $150 nonmembers
Contact Peggy Cline at 770-445-4572 or peggycline@att.net 
Visit www.pauldingfinearts.org for more details.

PASTEL Workshop - Stevensville, MD - 3-day 
Workshop - February 6, 7 & 8, 2015 (Fri/Sat/Sun)
Demo - Thurs., Feb. 5, 5:30 - 8:30 pm, $45, $55 at door
Chesapeake Fine Art Studio 
609 Thompson Creek Rd.
Stevensville, MD 21666
(about 40 minutes from downtown Baltimore)
$400
410-200-8019

OIL/PASTEL Workshop - Dahlonega, GA - 2-day 
March 19 & 20, 2015 (Thurs/Fri)
The Art Loft
Dahlonega, GA
www.artloft.net 
$285
To register, visit www.artloft.net.

OIL/PASTEL Workshop - Newport, RI - 3-day
April 24, 25 & 26 (Fri/Sat/Sun)
Newport Art Museum
76 Bellevue Ave.
Newport, RI 02840
$365 NAM members; $420 non members
401-848-2787

See my workshop page on my website for details and complete schedule through 2015, or email me with any questions.
www.barbarajaenicke.com

No comments:

Post a Comment