Thursday, July 17, 2014

Workshop News and some Plein Air Studies

Just a quick update on workshops I have quickly approaching...

If you're near the Traverse City, Michigan area, I'm teaching a 3-day pastel workshop there next week, July 23, 24 & 25. I was teaching in this area last year, visiting there for the first time and was amazed at how gorgeous the scenery is in this part of the country! There are still some spots available in this workshop! Visit www.artcentertraversecity.com for details.

Next month, I'm teaching another pastel workshop in Wisconsin at Dillman's Bay Resort & Workshops, August 18-21. I haven't visited this before, but am looking forward to it, since I understand it's like a resort for artists, with lots of other fun activities to do besides paint! This one is just about full last I checked, but there might be a couple of spots left. Visit www.dillmans.com for details.

My full schedule is on my website at www.barbarjaenicke.com, with more workshops to be added soon to my 2015 schedule!

I thought I'd also share in this post a few field studies I painted this week. It was a fantastic day of painting with a couple of artist friends in Ellijay, GA (North Georgia). We had perfect weather with cool summer temps, low humidity and LOTS of sunshine! Makes for a pretty day, but for those of us with real light-sensitive eyes, it really messes with judging color and value in the painting. So these sure needed some correcting in the studio.

Morning in Ellijay, oil, 8x10

Afternoon in Ellijay, oil, 10x8

Evening in Ellijay, oil, 8x10
The advantage of painting on location is having the ability to see firsthand the accurate values and color temperatures of the landscape, especially during the early and late hours of the day. When I need to make corrections in the studio, I try to do it very shortly after I painted them on location, so it's all still fresh in my memory.

In these studies, I tried to capture the lighting effects of each time of day. The "afternoon" painting has much more flat lighting while the early and late day paintings have more contrast in both values and temperature, with the later day painting having slightly warmer light.

No comments:

Post a Comment