Friday, May 13, 2011

Oil Version of a Previous Pastel Painting

Morning Light on the Hay Bales, oil, 11 x 14


Previous version of the above scene in pastel.
 As I work more in oil, I'm enjoying using previous pastel paintings as reference for new oil paintings.  What's most enjoyable is that I've already worked out decisions regarding composition, value and color temperature in the pastel painting. In the above oil version, I wanted to adjust the color to more of a golden hue rather than the greenish gold in the pastel.  I had intended to let more sky holes peek through the trees like I did in the pastel.  If you've been following my blog, you might remember that the pastel painting was a redo of the same scene I painted almost 10 years ago, and one of my main objectives of the redo was to open up the trees a bit to let the sky peek through.

No comments:

Post a Comment